Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some of my (audio) favorites...

I asked my students to listen to audio stories online, and to link us to two of their favorites.

My favorite audio stories are distributed online and through independent CD distribution.

Live from Detroit City, the L.A.M.P. Project's "rising up from the ashes: chronicles of a dropout" is sold primarily as a CD. You can listen to previews of the tracks online HERE.

For this project, youth from Detroit (led by MC INVINCIBLE) interviewed people on issues important to their community, such as high school drop-out rates, gentrification, and youth activism. They taught the students creative writing, brainstorming techniques, and technical skills like recording interviews, producing beats, and mixing in the studio. What results, is a CD that mixes interviews with beats, raps, and sounds of the streets; this is a powerful portrait of people and place.

My second choice is Thembi's diary on radiodiaries.org. I listened to her story when I first encountered the site over a year ago. When I went back to link student's to the site, I discovered that she has passed away. I cried. I closed my office door and cried. For this project, she was given an audio recorder to record a year in her life - interviews, stream-of-consciousness, and sounds from her everyday life. Her story was edited by a producer a NPR --- I would have loved to see how she would have edited the (audio) story of her own life.

More favorite stories to be posted... time to teach class.


No comments:

Post a Comment