Sunday, August 23, 2009

first entry for inspired :: what i like (and what i don't like so much)

What I :


D-Nice has the most amazing eye. Certainly I am taken by the use of a shallow depth of field, common in many of his photos and videos --- it really makes you look deeply at the subject. The focus on the subject (big like Questo or small like a wild flower) really draws me in.  




This video blog, by photographer Daniel Liss is exceptional. His pieces are short, simple (usually shot with a small DV camera, edited, text added, voice over and music) but magical. There is something about the mood, tone, and style --- I love the way he handles framing, composition, light, color, and pacing (mostly in editing). It's been my goal to produce a video per week... this blog inspires me to (finally) meet that goal. Fingers crossed!


Lauren's Girl Culture is a book that I use in many of the Women's Studies classes that I've taught. Her documentary photos really capture the essence of girlhood. I usually show the photographs with the audio + photo slideshows like this.  Recently visiting her homepage to discover that she now includes audio interviews with the photographs she displays on her site made me happy. She is very much a documentarian. She did make a documentary that was way to heavy (and the structure and pacing was off for me), but I love her work nonetheless.




Erin is an amazing photographer with a brilliant eye for framing and composition. I was blessed to work with Erin when I worked for a print magazine. We traveled through Chile and Argentina together. My favorite work by Erin is her personal work (though her commerical stuff is really fun), specifically the series she's done on teen moms in Brooklyn.



What I don't :

David LaChapelle   <---- just look for yourself... see what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment