Sunday, August 23, 2009

Intro Post : Who? What? Why? Where? When?

Who :: I hold a Ph.d. (Feminist Studies), an M.A. (Women's Studies), an M.F.A. (Film Directing), and a B.A. (Film Production). I am a freshly appointed Assistant Professor teaching media production at a University in the south.

What :: This is a blog companion to my creative journal (a very small, pocket sized green moleskin like one pictured at right, just green, which is my latest favorite color).

Why :: I've asked my Video Production students to keep visual journals for creative inventory and inspiration. They have the option to keep a book, binder, blog or any combination of the above. At the end of the term (December 2009), they have to write a 2-3 page reflection that is their artist statement as a visual storyteller (primarily concerned with camera and lighting).
 
As their Professor, I feel that I should be doing what it is I ask of them, particularly since I feel this assignment is a good way to develop your vision as a media maker, archive things that inspire you, and a way for the rest of the crew (our class) to get know more about you (and your aesthetic inclinations).

Where :: Southern U.S.A. (This is the first time I'm living down south. It is really beautiful here.)

When :: This blog will have weekly entries running late August through December 2009.

Here's me filming with my Sony Vx1000
 (yes this was a few years ago!) 
in Vina del Mar, Chile with a local B-boy

Hope you enjoy and feel inspired too!

Best,
Dr. R




1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for the mention. if i can inspire you, that's a very high compliment!

    daniel, pouringdown.tv

    ReplyDelete