Thursday, August 26, 2010

Some of my photographic inspirations

I get really obsessed with portraits of people - close-ups in particular. I love to learn more about people, places, and color through photography.

B+ is a photographer that I have known and respected for many years. Every once in a while I will go to his site and see the images he's made from so many places around the globe and I feel like I've traveled just a little bit more.



I really love how he creates this diptych images that juxtapose people together. In this set, I love the connection of color, the mood and tone he creates... you know they are both just chillin'. The shallow depth of field (which puts everything soft in the background), really allows you to look at each of these men. The shadows of trees on the window and the shades over his eyes keep up at a distance, but somehow, I still feel invited in to know, even just in part.



I did a google search on hip hop photography and this photographer popped up first. I'd never heard of him. His work is pretty commercial - slick, high contrast, saturated colors, etc... but there is something I dig about his framing and composition. I really like the way that he uses angles to create energy and attitude for the photographic subjects. Both images are in color but he uses a heavily black and white color palette and a hard, rim light that gives the subject a glow and separation from the background.


portraits by John Ricard :: homepage



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the last picture. The deep, full black, the bright white and the awesome glow on the right side of his face.. all just incredible! From his site, I liked this one a lot as well. Similar style. I guess the black background and composition just speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete